Writer’s Corner: Inauguration Day Speeches

Ever since I was a child, there was something exciting about Inauguration Day in America. While I personally fail at being a great historian of our many presidential leaders, I was one of those kids who enjoyed the aura that came with holding that office. These were the people that reflected the best of this country and reflected diplomacy that we should all strive to have. Of course, this is from a childlike perspective, where you want to believe that all adults have the best intentions and the world is black and white. When “Hail to the Chief” starts up, you feel that rumbling in your chest. As they say “My fellow Americans,” you can’t help but get some chills. A new era is about to begin, and it’s often filled with so much promise.

As someone born in 1989, I have lived through (as of today) six presidencies. I’m also aware of how subjective the role can be when you are young. The idea of American exceptionalism is attractive because, again, you want to believe the best of your home country. Nowhere does that tend to be clearer than when you get to January 20. As the familiar procession occurs, there is so much anticipation of what will happen next. As the newly confirmed president turns to the microphone to address the nation for the first time, you want to believe that what follows (his mission statement essentially) is that beacon of hope, that we’re riding into a new golden age.

Having been an adult now for over a decade, I understand that this perspective isn’t always reflective of reality. The more that you embrace independent thought (and you should), the more that history begins to look much more disturbing, where heroes are as much the figures who held things together as they were the ones hiding screwy scandals left and right. This isn’t to suggest that they couldn’t have positive attributes, but it’s important to be critical. For instance, I don’t exactly know how I should respect Andrew Jackson when one of his accomplishments was sending my ancestors on The Trail of Tears. 

That is the type of conversation that America needs to have with itself, and it feels like we’re getting around to something more productive. I’m not saying it’s perfect and there’s some insecurity with realizing one’s own historical and systemic flaws, but you must learn from history or be doomed to repeat it. I think there have been impressive leaps made in the past four years because people want to talk about it. I look at The Me Too Movement and Black Lives Matter doing everything they can to raise awareness of these issues. Change is being made. Not enough, but it’s still in motion.

To be totally honest, The Joe Biden Administration has so little to do to make me feel more comfortable about this country. Oh sure, I hope they solve hundreds of issues tomorrow and make this country a better place, but there is some reassurance in seeing Biden approach that podium, addressing the audience for the first time and giving a message of empathy, of believing that tomorrow is a brighter place. As an optimist, I need to believe that. If nothing else, the idea of having a boring, competent leader is far more assuring right now than a man who wants to dismantle government and drink Diet Cokes while launching a terrorist attack on The Capitol. This period of time has been awful, and I’m so, so glad that it’s over.

I still haven’t heard The 45th President’s speech. I have heard excerpts, but it was immediately mired in various controversies. It was and wasn’t raining. The crowd size was massive. It was already exhausting and suddenly I lost interest in being an exceptional country. This huckster did a good job of convincing enough people (and Russia) that he should lead this country. The nicest thing that I can say about his time in office is that I personally didn’t believe him to be The Worst American President™ until last year. Sure, you can argue that he was corrupt and awful, but I could argue that he didn’t start The Civil War or tank the country worse than so and so. He was down there, but it wasn’t until he lacked enough sympathy as a leader to take care of a global pandemic. As it stands, I think he’s more obsessed with being banned from Twitter than the fact that over 300,000 have died on his watch and he never batted an eye. Even Ronald Reagan’s incompetence with The AIDS Crisis seemed oddly more engaged.

What do I get out of Inauguration Day? I get that sense of hope. I do, anyway, every year but in 2017 when the president forthrightly suggested that “This period of American carnage is over” after taking jabs at every living former president sitting behind him. I don’t know what needs to be done to tell you that he wasn’t patriotic, but lacking even the false niceties in this historic moment was a sign that things were going terrible. I’ve never heard his full speech. I never want to. Even then, I’ll believe that his was the worst in history because I don’t know that he respected the office enough.

It is why in 2017 I chose instead to listen to an older speech. I think back on the one that every president since has tried to match simply for memorability. During John F. Kennedy’s speech, he spoke the famous line “Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country.” It was simple and effective, capturing some sense of enthusiasm. Given his status as the first American President to really understand how to use media to his benefit, it was a slogan that worked. It forced one to ask what made this country a great place, and it was this idea of patriotism and support for your fellow man.

Ultimately, I don’t like the idea of seeing this country in a cynical light. As an adult, I’m aware that even the best years have some hurdles to overcome. Still, I think there’s something to watching these people walk up to the podium and get the crowd to cheer. This is what America will be for the next four years. You might as well make it into this grand statement of potential and goals to reach. To look forward is to have some faith in the very idea that America is constantly working on a more perfect union. It’s only when all perspectives are considered in it will that change actually exist.

To be totally honest, I have a strong affection for these speeches even if I don’t necessarily commit them to memory. Still, there is something endearing about first impressions that are hard to ignore. As I get ready for Biden’s speech, I find myself returning to that childlike wonder, wanting to be reminded about what I saw of this country for almost 30 years now. The past four years have been so filled with anxiety and depression for me personally that I need to have that faith again. I know that there’s only so much that Biden can achieve, but I have to wonder if he’ll excel, find a balance during a period of severe chaos. 

If you ask me personally, I don’t believe that we’re entering the best presidency ever. This isn’t to suggest that it won't be good, reflective of what democracy should strive for. I am still naïve, even if I’m aware of most of the damage bestowed on this country from The White House since 2017. I’m thankful for those who continue to fight the good fight, making it easier to believe that some care about where this country winds up. I don’t know exactly what January 21, 2021 will look like, but I have faith that it will look a lot better than January 19, 2021. If nothing else, I believe we have a president who cares about the least of us. The road to recovery is long, but it starts today, at least I hope. 

Comments