A Few Thoughts on The Caitlin Clark Effect

There was a point leading into Game 2 of The WNBA Semifinals where I jumped on Twitter to joke about how everyone should watch the games instead of The Vice Presidential Debate going on concurrently. I accept that it wasn’t that deep of a joke, but I was amused by the idea of J.D. Vance being beaten in the ratings by the women he sought to take rights away from. For as much as I expected that comment to come and go without any greater commentary, I found myself receiving replies from people who shouldn’t bother me but, having heard the larger narrative for months now, just reached a tipping point.

In a round that featured the Top 4 teams in the league, including two that have had record-breaking attendance over the past season as well as endless sponsorships, I came face to face with someone who excused my joke. Maybe this stems from irrational ego, but the comment made me want to write an essay that I’m sure they won’t read.

Their response to my comment was a variation of “Caitlin Clark was ejected from the first round,” and “nobody’s watching.” The latter comment felt reminiscent of when she didn’t make Team USA despite only being in the league for a few months. It was a pure troll move then to tell me to “get a grip.” In an attempt to form a dialogue, I wrote my appreciation of the remaining teams. Maybe it was the lack of replies or two strangers having a chummy unrelated conversation under my joke, but it pissed me off. I blocked them and tried to move beyond it. I watched the games in question and had a great time (except for The Las Vegas Aces losing, anyway). Even then, I couldn’t shake the feeling that I was tired of Caitlin Clark as a talking point.

Let me retract. I have been a WNBA fan going back to 2021. In that time, The Indiana Fever has been a joke. They’re the team that wears jerseys with the Stranger Things logo. I have not been able to take them seriously and, in the echelon of teams I could be watching, they were low on the list. I understand how they could luck into the draft like they did and I think there’s room for improvement, but to me they’re still a lousy team. Somebody I know who follows them more closely agrees. I understand that this informs a lot of my view point. The one caveat I’ll give them is that Clark’s rookie season was an unprecedented success. The numbers and records prove it. Even then… I just hate talking about her. 

More specifically, The Caitlin Clark Effect™ is irksome. On the surface, I am fully on board with anything that boosts attention to the league. Having been to four games this season, I am thrilled by the rise in attendance across the board. It’s admirable to think that after years of attending half-full arenas that people are finally paying attention. There is something special about this year’s rookie class and I do imagine 2025’s will only continue this trend. Narratives will build and hopefully there will be an immersion that has long been unrecognized by general audiences. In that sense, this is great…


It's the people who place this all on Clark’s name that gets under my skin. This may be an oldhead take (and even then, only four season’s worth), but the league is more than one player. It’s how all basketball has been. I understand that fans tend to be more monolithic when it comes to spreading the wealth. You want to see the best, and there’s no denying that Clark has a snazzy highlight reel. She has a charisma that has served her well. I get why you want to support The Fever after what she did in Iowa. I don’t personally watch a lot of NCAA basketball (big Juju Watkins fan, though), so it’s telling that her name managed to cross my radar outside of March Madness. There is a build that any star rookie should have.

For the amount of genuine fans that will likely follow the sport for years, I find myself bothered by the individuals who say, “Caitlin Clark is out” and “nobody’s watching.” I recognize in literal terms that this is true. The ratings are down when The Fever aren’t playing. However, I think this gets into the odd paradox where the post-season for The NBA is more praised for must-see games. They are more established, sure, and it can be argued they have more publicized talent that people want to see. However, the suggestion that nobody wants to watch the Top 4 teams in the league – including one of the most storied rivalries of the previous two seasons – is absurd. I know that we don’t usually know our history from before we became self-conscious, but it bothers me how certain facets of The Caitlin Clark Effect™ emphasizes less curiosity to see what the remaining teams are up to than to drop out because their big baller said she’s going to be on the golf course next week.

On some level, I can be blamed for my own biases based on what teams were on an upward trajectory in 2021. I followed The Las Vegas Aces right before they began their recent Finals Champion run. My sister has been a fan of The New York Liberty’s Sabrina Ionescu going back to her days at Oregon. I accept that I like watching great players play and there is something thrilling about seeing A’ja Wilson in person. There’s a lot of players who fit that description. 


Whatever the case may be, The Caitlin Clark Effect™ bothers me because it suggests the league was inferior until June 2024. I don’t believe for a second that Clark or any of the rookie class believes this. They all likely have a reverence for the game. It’s not the people who converted to The WNBA and are making plans to tune in every season no matter what. In all seriousness, Clark didn’t “save” the league. In 2023, Ionescu was the golden calf who broke Diana Taurasi’s three point season record. She went to The All-Star Game and broke Steph Curry’s record to the point he was invited to drop by the following year. Clark may be breaking records, but if that’s all you’re watching for… are you getting anything out of the sport?

I’ll admit I am not as invested in players who were in the league longer. For as much as I recognize the influence of Sue Bird or Taurasi, I don’t know that I am quick to rattle off a stat sheet. With that said, I do admire how a sport grows and every generation of talent mentors the next. I was appreciative of the many documentaries (including a great 30 for 30) that The WNBA released in response to their 25th anniversary. As a viewer, I want to learn as much as I can about something I enjoy. I want to know the history. I want to see an opponent, sit back and point while nodding and say, “What else do they do?” I had that experience watching The Minnesota Lynx this year and I’m thrilled by their potential this post-season.

More than anything, I do blame the media and the need for sports to be monolithic. They’re quick to forget Taurasi, Wilson, and Ionescu. While they never went away, it’s clear that they cater to ratings. I don’t blame them. Clark’s name gets attention. Unfortunately, it’s been recently proven when The Connecticut Sun spent a post-game interview discussing how they had received racist comments while playing The Fever. The league came out with a note condemning hate speech immediately after. Even on a more banal level, the accompanying Sports Center broadcast immediately jumped to not “The Sun wins” but “How was Clark’s season?” Honestly, The Fever had a miracle year, but The Sun’s narrative of barely missing The Finals last year against a hungry Liberty team is a much more interesting arc to lead with.

I get if you were a loyal fan and are heartbroken by their loss. They do deserve some credit for what they achieved. However, any other narrative would’ve started with the answer people wanted most: who won? Work backwards and maybe end with that coveted tribute towards the end of the package. If nothing else, it keeps viewers tuned in.

For as much good as Clark’s entry into the league has done, it does feel at times like all she did was transition the comment section of ESPN. For those who aren’t morbid enough to click “See Comments” on Facebook, I have spent many days seeing headlines of WNBA athletes doing trivial activities that have resulted in a story. It’s not controversial nor really impactful in the long run, and yet I’ll read the comments and be reminded of where the league still is. For as much as The W has had an impeccable branding upgrade; for as much as this year boosts some confidence following complaints two years ago about women’s sports having lesser gym equipment; for as much as this continued the dialogue of paying athletes fair wages so they don’t have to risk playing overseas in dangerous situations… you still can’t escape that some people are misogynistic. They look at women hooping and will say “it’s layup-tastic!” in more problematic language. In 2022, the person telling me “nobody watches” at least steered clear of the operation. Now they are hiding behind Clark’s ascension because she’s damn good at her job.

I’m not suggesting all fans are. In fact, I’m willing to bet it’s a minority that have unfortunately swayed the dialogue. It’s the downside of anything becoming popular. The monolithic need to be the best makes itself known in many ways, and certain personality types want to support something that’s guaranteed to win. I’ll admit The Fever aren’t quite that yet, but Clark sure is. She’s lead to some of the most expensive ticket prices in league history. She’s packed stadiums. You know who else did? The Aces playing The Los Angeles Sparks. I saw it in person. It’s real. Don’t act like this was invented by the first round exiting Fever.

I’m sorry if this comes across as bitter or dismissive. As someone who watches WNBA games regularly, it bothers me to have somebody reach the semi-finals without enthusiasm. To just write the blanket statement “nobody watches” at this point is embarrassing. There’s clearly a market for people not to watch, and I hope they never tune in again. Either that or learn to appreciate the game for what it is. There have been great players for over a quarter century. There will continue to be for as long as the league exists. 

For me personally, I appreciate Clark but hate The Caitlin Clark Effect™ if just for how it symbolizes the bandwagon types who don’t see nuance. I would love to think real fans spent the year watching not only The Fever but the teams they played and felt a sense of joy and discovery. There’s so many great athletes out there. I understand that some draw more attention and it’s inevitable to ratings, but I don’t want you to be one of those effecting the dial. Be one of those who boosts the league so more opportunities can be given, especially with a major expansion on the way (Go Valkyries!). For me, I’m less curious about what Clark has done this year than what she’ll do in five. Will there still be the massive draw? I doubt she’s going to dip in quality, but I wonder if the stadiums will be packed and the commentors telling me to “get a grip” will still be around. Like Ionescu before, I’m sure somebody will replace Clark as the shiny new fav. The only hope is that the people still around will feel rewarded for making it through this weird period of animosity and misunderstanding. Just look at where The Liberty were from 2021 compared to 2024. Change takes time. I’m sure The Fever will figure something out soon enough. You really do deserve the best. 

Comments