How I Live Now: September 2021

As I’m sure many people have done for the past 17 years, there is something funny about posting a joke based on “Wake Me Up When September Ends.” I remember doing it in 2004 on a MySpace Green Day fan page and receiving a lot of annoyed responses. Yes, the song holds a deeper message that deserves to be taken seriously. Still, there is something fun about posting it, especially now that so much time has passed, and see who can catch the reference. Given that it feels like modern generations have become hip to the “American Idiot” album, calling it the best that the band has done, it makes me feel some pride to know that I saw them twice on that tour.

But also, it feels like the perfect way to start this entry. There is a call to wonder just what the upcoming months will bring while taking a moment to take account of what came before. As I mentioned near the start, September feels special to me because it will mean that I have been happy for a good 1/3 of the year. Given how this year started, it honestly feels like a miracle and I’m grateful every day that I feel satisfied, that my life feels like it has self-worth again. I am not necessarily living my most successful life, but there has been a concerted effort to make one that feels beneficial to what I want to do, what I want others to see and remember me by. While I cannot control how they interpret that output, there is something hopefully eternal that they can return to, to wonder just who Thomas M. Willett was.

I’m aware that this comes across as self-serving, possibly even suggesting a level of ego that is greatly compensating. However, it’s generally an outlook that I think is helpful to have especially if your desire is to have some work, some physical entity reflects your own identity. For me, that is writing and as much as I create for entertainment it is also a chance to preserve my identity. I have always disliked The Death of the Author because I personally believe that authorial intent matters, that art is a discussion with the creator on some level. Sure, there may be some universal themes that transcend needing to know their home address, but on some level, all art comes from personal experience. I look at my own work and notice subtext that informs aspects of me that I’m still coming to terms with. Somewhere deep down, I am trying to be honest with the writers but also myself.

The reason that I go into this so much is that September was the start of so many writing phases for me. The big one was that I am officially moving into the final editing stages for my second novel, due in Late November/Early December. I have a rough outline currently set but need to make it look a little cuter. Similarly, I have begun to outline my third novel which likely will not appear until 2023 at the earliest. Finally, I am proud to say that after a six month delay, I am in the editing stages for my third 2021 short story “Amazing Greys,” which should be out in the near future.

I love the feeling of being back into momentum, of having projects that allow me to be creatively fulfilled. I am of course balancing this with school, which has been exciting so far. I love the academic environment and the feeling of being back on a campus, notably for my dream school, makes me feel immersed in the perspective. I’m only there four hours a week right now, but they’re some of the most rewarding hours. I love sitting in a room and listening to conversations about art, in this case theater like “Waiting for Lefty” and “Fefu and Her Friends” which expand my understanding of the potential of both the written word and how they can be presented. My other classes are online, though they’re nevertheless interesting. It keeps me busy and that’s where a lot of my energy is when I’m not writing for The Memory Tourist or enjoying other areas of my life.

For the sake of not boring the reader, I thought that I would start to branch out and start talking about those areas. What have I been up to throughout September that is worth bringing up? I suppose that the big one is definitely that we are living in a time where Dear Evan Hansen (2021) is officially a movie. Given themes that I have discussed here and elsewhere, the show continues to hold personal significance for me, where even a YouTube bootleg can satisfy a small itch to see it on a stage again. Despite most criticism, I think that Ben Platt did a good job in both versions and while the film is imperfect, it does a good job of translating the story. If you liked the Broadway show, I promise that you’ll find at least something to appreciate here.

Also great to see Billy Porter working

With that said, it’s not the only musical that was released this month. In fact, the whole month was chock full of weekly goodies. Even if they weren’t all necessarily good, I am thankful to live in a moment where waking up on Friday meant that I got to see these great movie musicals. To briefly summarize, Cinderella (2021) was goofy and quaint. I also think that Come From Away (2021) deserves to be held in the upper echelon of professionally shot stage musicals because what they do with it is incredible (watch it on AppleTV+ if you haven’t). Finally, one of the bigger surprises is Everybody’s Talking About Jamie (2021) which may not always have the best music, but whose story I found very moving. I especially like Richard E. Grant’s character, who I feel is representative of queer history that enhances the overall story and makes it more than a coming of age story in drag.

With that said, it’s been an interesting month looking at LGBTQIA+ history on my end as well. For whatever reason, I have been drawn to researching California’s Prop 8 from 2008, a.k.a. the bill that would’ve illegalized gay marriage. Something about that feels crucial about not only how social manners changed, but also how I generally responded to queerness in myself. I’m very thankful that the modern generation is more open and accepting. It’s why deep down I have a soft spot for Everybody’s Talking About Jamie. Acknowledging the subtle ways that the times changed even if there’s homophobia and transphobia still rampant somehow gives me comfort. Maybe it’s just spending a lot of time on TikTok or that this was written during Bi Visibility Week, but sometimes I’m grateful for the direction that things have gone. 

I haven’t written about it, at least not outside of the context of “Industry Baby,” but I’m even excited by the release of Lil Nas X’s “Montero.” It is exciting to know that we live in a time where an openly gay Black rapper can perform on The MTV VMA’s and proudly dedicate his win to “The Gay Agenda™.” While I’m not nearly as much a fan of them censoring him saying “I’m queer,” the lead-up to his debut album is astounding. He is doing things his way and the agency with which he does it impresses me. Much like Lady Gaga during the “Born This Way” era, I honestly respect anyone who has that kind of control over their image. The fact that he’s doing it so confidently and subversively speaks to how the times have changed. Somedays I’m surprised “Industry Baby” is even on the radio, but it is and we’re better for it. 


To be completely honest, I have gotten more into pop music but that isn’t to say that I am “with it” as the kids who were never “with it” say. Every time I think I’m cool, I just remember that all the songs I like topped the charts four months ago and I’m way behind. I miss whole strains of trends. With that said, I listen to “Montero” and I’m a fan of his candidness and ability to comment on homosexual yearning. There is a vulnerability that I didn’t expect him to have, especially after part of his persona felt a bit comic and confrontational. Still, listening to “That's What I Want,” you can feel his eagerness. It’s beautiful and I hope in time the rest of the album will appeal to me with as much entertainment value. 

Finally, I want to give a brief update. I mentioned last month that there was a movie called Dear Luke, Love Me that was in the midst of a Kickstarter. The gist is that it is a film by director Guillermo Diaz that honestly depicts asexuality. They’ve officially met their goal in part thanks to me, who donated $25 to this worthy cause. Given that I’ve held off watching Netflix’s Sex Education because reports suggest they kiboshed their ace in season three, I am eager to see better representation because I honestly believe that it could be helpful for those exploring their identity. We’ve gotten better in recent years with Selah & The Spades (2020) and Everything’s Gonna Be Okay, though I want to believe that we deserve at least more recognition in supporting roles. A great example is Princess Cyd (2017), which I recently rewatched and that is a masterpiece that just warms my heart. I love Aunt Miranda so much

There’s been a host of other things that have been populating my life, like a pointless California Recall Election. While this one thankfully ended in embarrassment, I want to direct everyone to a great podcast called Total Recall that looks at The Grey Davis Recall with interviews from major candidates. It’s very interesting and worth your time. In other places, there have been harmful bills pass like Texas’ anti-abortion bill that’s only made their governor look more foolish. Sometimes I worry about how this country will wind up, others I’m thankful that there are people putting up the good fight. As someone who isn’t always the most direct and open about causes I support, I’m grateful to those who have swayed the country to be a little better a little more often. 

There’s plenty that’s in the works for the months ahead. I’m continuing to work through school and projects that will hopefully be made public soon. In October, I will also be attending my first ever NBA game at The Staples Center to watch The Clippers play The Nuggets. I know that it’s pre-season, but tickets were cheap and what a good chance to potentially see players I admire shoot hoops. Hell, I’m even excited about being in the same room as Nikola Jokic following his MVP-Winning season. 

Kelsey Plum

Also, this week marks the start of The WNBA Playoffs. I HAVE to support my Aces on this one. They’ve been doing great lately and I want to see them make it further (also, tired of watching them play The Chicago Sky, which always promises a 15+ point final point difference). 

Finally, I want to mention that I had an interesting experience a few weeks ago. I’m working through Dickinson on AppleTV+, and it’s a fun show. I don’t love it as much as A Quiet Passion (2016), but Hailee Steinfeld is doing good work. With that said, I also saw her on The Met Gala where she went full blonde, and despite seeing her face for like five hours the days before, I couldn’t tell it was her. Also, I don’t understand high-end fashion. I want to pull off dressing more flamboyant, but sometimes fashion as an art form confuses me. What even is the point of trains that isn’t debilitating? I’m practical, people. Everything needs to be practical. Still, I have enjoyed hearing women talk about all of it.

As of this publication, I am out the door and ready to enjoy my Friday by seeing a friend for Shang-Chi and the Legend of the 10 Rings (2021). I’m also planning to buy the Dear Evan Hansen soundtrack while I’m out, maybe even finding Billie Eilish’s “Happier Than Ever” while I’m out – because I think that album is a masterpiece and her new special – is a great little concert film worthy of your time (on Disney+). Also, there is a marathon of The Sopranos on HBO right now and TCM is doing a bunch of Roller Derby Movies, so I have an embarrassment of riches, honestly.

My September has been far from perfect, but it has been great to have a month that feels rather normal, full of the familiar highs and lows. Maybe it’s still too hot for my liking in Southern California, but I’ve made memories, done things that I’m proud of. October plans to produce some good, and I’m curious to know what Halloween season will provide for me. Maybe I’ll work through more Universal Horror Classics. Maybe I’ll check out Mountain Dew Voo-Dew’s new flavor and have a blast with that. Sure, we don’t have as many movie musicals out, but Tick Tick… Boom! (2021) is just around the corner and Andrew Garfield is quickly becoming a personal favorite of the highest order.


I want to end with even greater news. The trailer for director Guillermo del Toro’s Nightmare Alley (2021) is out and it looks like my new favorite movie of the year. See? There is a lot to look forward to this year, even if it feels like I’ve been largely dormant for most of it. Still, can’t wait for a carnival movie from such an exciting filmmaker who I think will update the Tod Browning aesthetic beautifully. Anyway, enjoy yourselves out there and I’ll talk with you soon!

Comments