The Return is Imminent

For those with a watchful eye, they may have noticed something off about The Memory Tourist. Back in November, I announced that I was going on a hiatus. While I’ve lived up to my word and haven’t produced regularly released content in that time, one thing has remained up for debate: why didn’t I return at the start of February for the end of my hiatus as I promised?

To be completely honest, the reason is rather mundane: time. Starting in late January, I have been busy with my latest school semester where I am often required to attend classes for up to four hours a day (not including transportation) and the other days reading almost as many hours’ worth of material. It has been difficult to find a balance that would allow even two weeks a month to produce content (or 14 articles total). While I am still deciding how I want to go about this, the good news is that I am going to try and do an official relaunch starting next week on February 20, 2022. 

I would like to clarify that while I pride myself on meeting quotas and deadlines, I understand that I may be putting myself at risk here. Given that I already missed last week’s deadline for Short Stop, there is a good chance that I may miss one or two regular columns going forward. If that becomes the case, I apologize and intend to have them run in their regular spots during the next cycle. There isn’t any plan to drop anything unless overtly specified. 

With that said, there’s already been plenty from me for 2022 that I am proud of. The aforementioned Short Stop column has been a fun way to better explore authors that I am genuinely curious about. There’s also Rue the Day where I write a stream of consciousness piece on Euphoria. Other columns that I look forward to seeing return include Make It New, Best Movie I Saw This Week, Monday Melodies, and of course A24 A-to-Z – the last of which will officially be tackling The Lighthouse (2019) when it comes around. There’s a lot to look forward to and I cannot wait to dig into all of it.

To be clear, I love writing on here in every shape and form. The forms of expression have been satisfying and I sincerely believe that I have produced some of my best work in the past two years as a blogger. It’s personal, candid, and more reflective of a singular voice (which I haven’t always been the best at). My goal is for you to come away with both a sense of the art I like but also why I do. Maybe I get too personal, but I like to think that I balance it with more formal pieces. Whatever it is, on the best of weeks The Memory Tourist motivates and gives me purpose and I wouldn’t trade that for anything (except maybe a stable writing gig). 

That is what you can look forward to going forward. On the one hand, it’ll be more of the same. It might be a little less, but there will still be something. I don’t want to burn out like I did in 2020, so there may or may not be another hiatus in a few months. For now, everything is starting to get set in motion and I can’t wait to see where that leads me. Maybe I’ll go further and feel more satisfied in 2022. That would be phenomenal, honestly. For now, enjoy this last week away from me and I hope to see you very, very soon. 

Comments